Saturday, May 23, 2020

Welcome!

I've always loved board games. The thrill of choosing what to play, who to play as and the adventure held within shared with my friends, board games have captured my imagination ever since I was kid.

While board games have exploded in popularity, complexity, and component quality in recent years-there's still room for improvement. A little TLC can make it less cumbersome to play, thus extending the life of the game. One of the biggest contenders I see for board game blunders is the rule book. If I have to make a rules summary/player aids for it, the rule book has not done its job. Copious chits are a close second. Granted, chits are to keep costs low over that of miniatures, but sometimes you have to get creative. That's where my idea for this blog came to light- or rather by night. I wanted to share my modifications to my collection of board games with simple DIY steps.


Some of my board game mods take several steps, others are just a matter of swapping out items.  For my first post, I'll show you how I did an easy upgrade  for IDW's Nickelodeon's Splat Attack! board game.


Slime not included.

The goal of the game is to be the last Nick toon team standing in a cafeteria food fight with the most cool points. Cool points are represented by an ice cube token with the point value on the back.

While the tokens works for the game, the busy artwork 
of the board causes it to get lost

With miniatures on the board, I felt the ice cubes should be 3d as well. I was able to find a solution in the flower vase aisle at Michael's- a jar of clear plastic decorative cubes. The next challenge was finding a way to get the point value for each cool point on the cube. Luckily, I had leftover garage sale stickers in my junk drawer and put them to use. Application of one sticker with its value drawn in marker bled through- when you flipped the cube over to place on the board, you'd see the reversed number peering thru. I tried doubling up the sticker, placing one blank on the cube and the numbered sticker on top. That did the trick...3D cool points, much easier to see and grab across the table.

Success! 3d cool points that not only look great, but also 
function in the game with no issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building 3D Heroclix Terrain with Foamular

I recently discovered thru my friend Jerry- the magic of Foamular, a foam insulation used in construction. It also works extremely well to c...